Planning Consent

Planning permission or planning consent is the permission required in the UK in order to allow an occupier of the land or building to build on the land, or change the use of land or buildings.
Certain types of operation such as routine maintenance of an existing building are excluded from the definition of development. Certain categories of minor or insignificant development are granted an automatic planning permission by law, and therefore do not require any planning permission application. These categories are referred to as permitted development.

In the case of any proposal there is therefore a two stage test: "is the proposal development at all?" and, if the proposal is development, "is it permitted development?" Only if a development is not permitted development would an application for planning permission be required. An application for planning permission should be made to the Local Planning Authority . Local Planning Authorities are generally the local borough or district council ('local authority' in Scotland).

Building Regulations

Building regulations that apply across England and Wales are set out in the Building Act 1984 while those that apply across Scotland are set out in the Building (Scotland) Act 2003. Building regulations are statutory instruments that are implicated to ensure that the policies set out in the relevant legislation are carried out. Building regulations approval is required for most building work in the UK.

There are currently 14 sections to the buildings regulations and each is accompanied by an Approved Document. Although compliance with the legislation is what is ultimately required and there may be many ways of complying, other than just using the ways set out in the 'deemed to satisfy' provisions within each of the Approved Documents, The Building Regulations do not aim to stifle innovation and design.

Exempt buildings include:

CLASS I Buildings controlled under other legislation e.g. Any building the construction of which is subject to the Explosives 5 and 1923. Or Nuclear related buildings.
CLASS II Buildings not frequented by people (unless close to an existing building).
CLASS III Greenhouses and agricultural buildings (Not used for Retail).
CLASS IV Temporary buildings (Erected for less than 28 days).
CLASS V Ancillary buildings.
CLASS VI Small detached buildings [Garages, garden storage sheds/huts] (less than 30 square metres floor area with NO sleeping accommodation therein).
CLASS VII Extensions - Porches, Covered Ways, Conservatories, (less than 30 square metres floor area).

Call us to discuss your requirements on....
01733 396181
079588 441 751
....or contact us by email and we will call you back.

Please enter your name:

Your email address:

May we contact you?

Yes No

Enter your message:

Tel: 01733 396181                      Email:   

i-lid Design is a Trading name for i-lid Design Ltd. Company Registration No. 8969201                      Registered Office Address: Unit 25, 28-29 Maxwell Road, Peterborough, PE2 7JE. 
i-lid Design all rights reserved 2011                      Site developed & maintained by i-lid Design.